A Drug-Drug Interaction alert message appears when a prescribed drug has the potential to cause significant interactions with other drugs in the patient's Active Medications list.
There are three Drug-Drug Alert severity levels:
- Major Drug Interaction — The effects may result in death, hospitalization, permanent injury, or therapeutic failure.
- Moderate Drug Interaction — Medical intervention is needed to treat effects; effects do not meet criteria for Major.
- Minor Drug Interaction — The effects would be considered tolerable in most cases - no need for medical intervention.
Based on your Drug-Drug Alert notification settings (under prescription preferences), you have the following choices when an alert appears:
- Select an Override Reason and proceed with the prescription.
- Override the alert and proceed with the prescription without selecting an override reason.
- Cancel the prescription.