Add New Patient
- Last updated
- 10:23, 31 Jul 2016
Save as PDF
Patient records (charts) are used to schedule appointments and manage patient information, including demographics, contacts, and appointments.
Watch a demonstration of some of the features covered in this article in our Create New Patient video.
Add a New Patient Record
First, search for the patient to prevent a chart duplication.
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name in the top navigation bar search box.
- If the patient does not appear in the auto-populated results, click the link to create a new patient record. The Create Patient window opens.
Note: A new patient chart can also be created from the New Appointment window. See Schedule Patient Appointment to learn more.
- Enter the required patient information: First Name, Last Name, DOB (date of birth), Sex, and Mobile Phone number.
- Click Show More to enter home or work phone numbers (optional).
- Click Edit next to Billing Profile to add insurance information (optional). The Billing Information window opens.
- Click to select if the Payment Method is Insurance or Self Pay.
Note: If patient is Self Pay, skip to step 14.
Begin entering the primary insurance plan name in the Insurance Plan field and select it from the auto-populated results.
Note: If the insurance plan does not display in the list, do not select Click to create new. This option does not allow a billing address to be entered for the plan. Instead, contact your System Admin to add the plan in Practice Settings.
- Enter the Policy Number as shown on the patient's insurance card.
- Click Check Eligibility, select the patient's provider from the drop down menu in the pop-up window, and click Run Eligibility Check. The pop-up window closes and the current status displays next to Eligibility.
- Click the drop-down arrow and choose the appropriate provider from the list.
- Click Run Eligibility Check. The Billing Information window re-opens and eligibility status displays under the policy number.
- Enter optional notes in the Note field.
- Click Add Secondary Insurance to enter secondary plan and policy number, if applicable.
- Click Save. The Create Patient window re-opens and the billing information displays in the Billing Profile section.
- Enter the patient's Email and Address in the Additional Contact Information section (optional).
- Click Create Patient. The patient record is created and the patient's Demographics window opens.
Learn about adding or editing patient Demographics information here.