Add New Insurance Case and Policy
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Add patient insurance information in Kareo to manage policy information, add authorizations, and check eligibility. Basic insurance information can be entered when creating a new patient record, and detailed insurance information can be added to an existing patient's chart from the Account page.
Access Patient Insurance
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name or date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) in the top navigation bar search box.
- Click to select the patient from the auto-populated results. The patient's record opens to the Face Sheet.
- Click Account. The Account page opens.
- Click the Insurance tab. The Insurance page opens.
Add Insurance Case
- Click + Add New Insurance Case. The Add Insurance Case page opens.
- Enter Case Information:
- Payment Method: Click to select whether the payment method is Insurance or Self Pay.
Note: A Self-Pay case indicates a patient is paying out of pocket instead of billing an insurance company.
- Name: Enter a name to identify the insurance case.
- Status: The case status is set to Active by default.
- Referring Provider: If applicable, begin typing the name of the Referring Provider and select it from the auto-populated results.
Add Insurance Policy
- Enter Insurance Information:
- Plan Name: Enter the first 2-3 letters of the insurance plan name in the field provided and and select it from the auto-populated list.
- Enter the Policy Number, Group Number, insurance plan Phone Number, Copay Amount, and Deductible Amount as shown on the patient's insurance card.
- Enter the Policy Effective and Policy End dates, if available.
- Patient's Relationship: The relationship is set to Self by default. If the patient's relationship to the primary policy holder is other than Self, click to select the relationship to the policy holder. Then enter the insured's information in the fields provided.
- Eligibility: Billing module subscribers, click Check Eligibility. The Check Eligibility pop-up window opens. Select the patient's provider and click Run Eligibility Check. The pop-up window closes and the current status displays next to Eligibility.
- Notes: Enter any notes about the policy (optional).
- Status: The policy status is set to Active by default.
- Click Save Policy. The insurance policy is saved.
- If applicable, add insurance authorization or a formulary plan.
- Click Save & Finish when all information is added.