Collect Copay or Payment
- Last updated
Save as PDF
The Collect Payment feature provides an easy way to record or swipe a card to post patient payments for copays and outstanding account balances.
- The Collect Payment feature is only available to Kareo customers who subscribe to the Billing module.
- Credit/debit card payments can only be processed if Kareo Patient Payments has been activated on your account.
- A payment processed through Kareo's Platform shows as an Unapplied Payment until it's applied to the patient's account in the Kareo Desktop Application.
- Hover over the Platform icon and click on Dashboard. The Dashboard opens.
- Click on the appointment to view the appointment card.
- Click More Options > Collect Payment. The Collect a Payment page opens.
- Verify patient information, review outstanding charges and unapplied payments. Then, enter the payment information.
- Patient name, DOB, phone and address.
- Click Total Account Balance to see an overview of charges and unapplied payments.
- To view a printable version of the Balance Details, click Print. Then print, if desired.
- Payment Amount: By default the Total Account Balance populates. If needed, enter a different payment amount.
- Click Add Payment Note to enter details about the payment (e.g., reference number, check number, date of service).
Note: Payment Notes are only visible to the practice and do not print on the patient receipt.
- Payment Method: Click to select how the payment was made.
- If Credit Card is selected as the method:
- To record a credit card payment that has already been processed, click to select "Do not charge credit card. For recording purposes only.".
Note: If this is selected, the payment will not process through Stripe.
- Select card on file or enter new card:
- If applicable, click to select a saved card on file to process the payment.
- To swipe a new card or manually enter the Name on Card, Card Number, Expiration Date, and three-digit CVV code, click to select Use new card.
- To securely save the new credit card information in the patient's record for future payments, click to select "Save this card on file".
Note: This option requires the cardholder's written permission. For convenience and optional use, click Download Patient Agreement for a template.
- Click Finalize Payment. The Collect a Payment confirmation page opens.
- Review the information in the confirmation window. If applicable, click Back to return to the previous window and make changes.
- To generate a detailed receipt (e.g. for FSA/HSA patients), click to select "Create itemized receipt". Otherwise, a non-itemized receipt displays once the payment is submitted.
- Click Submit Payment. The Receipt window opens.
Note: A submitted payment will show as an Unapplied Payment until it is applied to the patient's account in Kareo's Desktop Application.
If "Create an itemized receipt" was selected when the payment was submitted, a detailed receipt displays. Otherwise, a non-itemized payment receipt displays.
- To print the receipt for the patient, click Print at the bottom of the window.
- To enter the patient's email address to receive a modified email receipt that only contains general information (e.g., payment confirmation number, date payment was processed, amount paid), click Email at the bottom of the window.
Note: The full details of itemized and non-itemized receipts can only be printed and will not be sent via email.