Collect Copay or Payment
- Last updated
Save as PDF
The Collect Payment function provides an easy way to record or swipe a card to post patient payments for copays and outstanding account balances.
Important notes regarding collecting patient payments:
- The Collect Payment function is only available to Kareo customers who subscribe to the Billing module.
- Credit/debit card payments can only be processed if Kareo Patient Payments has been activated on your account.
- An itemized receipt can be printed at the end of the Collect Payment transaction.
- A modified receipt that includes only the payment confirmation number, date payment was processed, and amount paid can be sent to the patient's email address.
- A payment processed through Kareo's Platform shows as an Unapplied Payment until it's applied to the patient's account in the Kareo Desktop Application.
- Hover over the Platform icon and click Dashboard. The Dashboard opens.
- Click on the appointment to view the appointment card.
- Click More Options > Collect Payment. The Collect a Payment window opens.
- If the patient has a balance due, payment can also be collected by clicking the vertical ellipsis menu next to Balance.
- Review patient information, view outstanding charges and unapplied payments, and enter a new payment made by credit/debit card, cash, or check.
- Total Account Balance: Click Total Account Balance to see an overview of charges and unapplied payments.
- Payment Amount: By default, the total account balance populates. Enter a different payment amount, if desired.
- Add Payment Note: Payment Notes are only visible within the practice and do not print on the patient receipt.
- Click Add Payment Note to open the dialog box.
- Enter details about the payment, including any reference number, the check number, last four digits of the payment card, or the date(s) of service if the payment is being applied to an outstanding balance (e.g., "$60 payment: $20 copay/$40 encounter 6-12-16").
- Payment Method: Click to select how the payment will be made.
- Do not charge credit card: Check this option to record a credit card payment that has already processed.
Note: A payment will not be processed through Stripe if this option is selected.
- Credit Card Method: Select how to process the payment.
- Saved Card(s) on File: If available, select a saved card to process the payment.
- Use new card: Swipe the card or enter the Name on Card, Card Number, Expiration Date, and three-digit CVV code.
- Click "Save this credit card on file" (optional) to securely save the credit card information in the patient's record for future payments.
- Note: A patient agreement must be collected before checking this box. Click the Download Patient Agreement link below the checkbox complete the agreement.
- Click Finalize Payment. The Collect a Payment confirmation window opens.
- Review the information in the confirmation window.
- Click Back to return to the previous window and make changes.
- Check the "Create itemized receipt" box to generate a detailed receipt that can be printed for the patient. If the box is left unchecked, a non-itemized receipt will display.
- Click Submit Payment. The Receipt window opens.
Note: A submitted payment will show as an Unapplied Payment until it is applied to the patient's account in Kareo's Desktop Application.
If the Create an itemized receipt box was checked in the previous window, a detailed receipt will display. If the box was left unchecked, a non-itemized payment receipt will display.
- Click Print at the bottom of the window to print the receipt for the patient.
- Click Email at the bottom of the window to email the patient a modified receipt that shows only the payment confirmation number, date payment was processed, and amount paid. Note that the full itemized and non-itemized receipts can only be printed and will not be sent via email.