Collect Copay or Payment
- Last updated
Save as PDF
The Collect Payment feature provides an easy way to record or swipe a card to post patient payments for copays and outstanding account balances.
To collect patient payments via a Stripe Terminal, review Stripe Terminal: Collect Patient Payment.
- Collect Payment is only available for Kareo Billing subscribers.
- Credit/debit card payments can only be processed if Kareo Patient Payments has been activated on your account.
- A payment processed through Kareo's Platform shows as an Unapplied Payment until it's applied to the patient's account in the Kareo Desktop Application.
- Hover over the Platform icon and click on Dashboard. The Dashboard opens.
- Click on the appointment to view the appointment card.
- Click More Options > Collect Payment. The Collect a Payment page opens.
- Verify patient details, review outstanding charges and unapplied payments.
- Click Total Account Balance to see an overview of charges and unapplied payments.
- To view or print the Balance Details, click Print.
- By default, the Payment Amount field is populated with the Total Account Balance. If necessary, enter a different payment amount.
- To enter additional details about the payment (e.g., date of service), click Add Payment Note. This note is only visible to the practice and does not print on the patient receipt.
- Select Payment Method of "Credit Card", "Cash", or "Check".
- If Credit Card is selected, choose how to process the payment:
- To record a credit card payment that has already been processed, click to select "Do not charge credit card. For recording purposes only.".
Note: If this option is selected, the payment will not be processed through Stripe.
- To use a saved patient payment card, click to select the card.
- To manually enter or swipe a new card, click + Manually Enter New Card. Then, populate the Name on Card, Card Number, Expiration Date, and three-digit CVV code.
- To securely save the new credit card information in the patient's record for future payments, click to select "Save this card on file".
Note: This option requires the cardholder's written permission. For convenience and optional use, click Download Patient Agreement for a template.
Note: For practices who subscribe to Kareo Engage and has the Patient Payments feature activated, send a Credit Card Authorization form through the Patient Intake workflow. Patients can add, edit, or remove credits card(s) on file and electronically sign the authorization form.
- Click Finalize Payment. The Collect a Payment confirmation page opens.
- Review the details in the confirmation window. If applicable, click Back to return to the previous window and make changes.
- To generate a detailed receipt (e.g., for FSA/HSA patients), click to select "Create itemized receipt". Otherwise, a non-itemized receipt displays once the payment is submitted.
- Click Submit Payment. The Receipt page opens.
If "Create an itemized receipt" was selected when the payment was submitted, a detailed receipt displays. Otherwise, a non-itemized payment receipt displays.
- To print the receipt for the patient, click Print at the bottom of the window.
- To enter the patient's email address to receive a modified email receipt that only contains general information (e.g., payment confirmation number, date payment was processed, amount paid), click Email at the bottom of the window.
Note: The full details of itemized and non-itemized receipts can only be printed and will not be sent via email.