Payments received in person or by mail from insurance companies (EOB's), patients and other payers are applied manually. There are essentially two steps to the process: 1) Enter information about the payment and 2) Apply the appropriate amounts of the payment to the lines of service within the Kareo system.
To enter payment information
- Click Encounters >Receive Payment. The New Payment window opens.
- Enter payment details. (See details below.)
- General: Click to enter information about the payment.
- Batch #: Optional. Entering a batch number is helpful for running reports. For example, if you consistently use a naming convention such as date posted + initials of person posting (021411CB), you can easily run reports for specific users who manage payment posting in your office.
- Post Date: Defaults to current date. You can override with the date of your choice, for example, the date the money was deposited in the bank.
- Type: Select Patient from the drop-down menu.
- Patient: Click the Patient button to open the Find Patient window and select the patient associated with the payment.
- Appointment: Click the Appointment button to open the Select Appointment window and choose the patient appointment associated with the payment.
- Reference #: If applicable, enter the reference number of the check.
- Method: Select the method of payment.
- Category: Optional. These categories are specific to your practice and must be set up in the Kareo system by your administrator. See section New Category.
- Amount: Enter the payment amount.
- Once payment details have been entered, do one of the following:
- Click Apply Now to apply payment to the lines of service. See Apply Payments from Patient.
- Click Save to save the payment record and apply payments at a later time.
- Click Save & New to save the payment record and enter a new payment.