With the SALT (Same As Last Time) feature, you can create a new draft encounter from an existing one to save data entry time. When an encountered is copied, the system copies all data in the encounter except the patient appointment and dates of service.
To copy an encounter
- Click Encounters > Find Encounter in the top menu.
- Find the encounter you want to copy and click on it once to highlight it.
- Click Copy at the bottom of the window.
Important: Use of this feature is optional and your practice acknowledges that the responsibility for auditing a newly created encounter falls solely with you as an end user. Federal and State False Claims Acts do place the obligation on the person that processes the claim to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the data prior to submission for reimbursement.
Kareo recommends the following best practices when utilizing this feature
- Confirm that all the service dates have been updated and are accurate for the new encounter.
- Verify that the patient’s coverage is up to date (insurance company, authorizations and ID numbers).
- Confirm that all providers (rendering, referring and supervising) and the service location copied from the previous encounter still applies to the new encounter.
- Validate that all Procedures, Diagnosis, and Modifier codes are consistent with the documentation in the patient’s medical chart.