New Telehealth Appointment
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Kareo Telehealth is the next generation HIPAA compliant video visit solution from Kareo. It provides an integrated experience with the Kareo platform. Telehealth appointments can be conducted on a computer or mobile device with up to four participants. This allows providers the flexibility to host multiple patients or providers in one visit room.
Once an appointment is scheduled, the patient receives an appointment reminder with a link to join the telehealth visit room. In order for a patient to receive a reminder, verify the following:
- The provider's Patient Communication settings are activated
- The practice's Service Locations allow appointment reminders
- The patient's communication preferences are set on the Profile tab of the Demographics page
- Appointment reminders are sent to the email and mobile phone entered on the Profile tab of the patient's Demographics page
Note: Appointment reminders are not available for Group Appointments.
- Chrome is the preferred browser for optimal use for Kareo Teleahealth.
- The appointment workflow is not supported through Kareo's mobile app. To schedule an appointment or join a video appointment on a mobile device, log into app.kareo.com through a mobile browser.
Available for Kareo Telehealth subscribers.
- Select the desired date on the calendar.
- Click New Appointment. The Calendar page opens.
- Select a Provider from the drop-down.
- Double click the desired time slot. The New Appointment page opens.
Schedule Telehealth Appointment
Follow the steps below to schedule a telehealth appointment with one patient. To schedule a telehealth appointment with up to three patients, see New Group Telehealth Appointment.
- Begin entering the patient's name and click on the patient's name when it appears. If the patient record is not found, select Click to create new patient record to add a patient record.
- Select a Visit Reason from the drop-down menu.
- Adjust the appointment Duration if necessary.
- Select a pre-set or custom recurring appointment option if necessary.
- Select "Telehealth" as the appointment mode.
- Select the Service Location from the drop-down menu.
- Add an optional note about the appointment. Appointment notes will carry over to the chief complaint in a patient’s clinical note (Clinical subscribers only).
- Click to select which patient intake forms to send (Engage subscribers only).
- Provider: Search for and select a Kareo Telehealth subscribed provider (required).
- Staff and Room & Equipment: Search for and select a staff member, room, or equipment if necessary.
- Billing Details:
- Balance: Patient balance or credit displays (Billing subscribers only).
- Insurance Case: Select a case and review the insurance information with the patient.
- Policy: Policy information of the selected case.
- Effective: The policy start and end dates.
- Copay: The copay amount.
- Authorizations: If available, the number of visits remaining for the authorization.
- Eligibility: Eligibility status shows, if available (Billing subscribers only).
- Click the more options icon to select the option to View Report or Check Eligibility.
- Click Save Appointment when finished.
The provider joins the telehealth visit at the time of the scheduled appointment.
The patient receives telehealth appointment reminders based on the provider's patient communication cadence with access to the telehealth visit room. They can join the appointment with any mobile, laptop, or desktop device with an internet connected browser, camera, and microphone access.
- At the time of the appointment, the patient taps Start Appointment. The Verification page opens in a new browser window.
Note: The visit room is available 30 minutes before the appointment start time and up to 2 hours after the appointment end time.
- The patient enters their Date of Birth and taps Verify. The Request Permissions page opens.
Note: Other participants (e.g., another provider or patient advocate not part of the practice), use the patient's date of birth for verification.
- Patient taps Request Permissions to activate their camera and microphone.
- Patient taps Allow to use the microphone and camera for the appointment. The visit room launches to wait or join the provider.
Provide patients with the Quick Start Guide for instructions to join the video visit and tips.
Patient View Set Up
Patients can set up their visit room layout when they join the room.
The patient hovers over their video and clicks the more options icon. Depending on the window, there are several desktop layout options available that include:
- Edit display name: Click to change the display name shown to everyone in the room.
- Maximize: Click to make the patient's video the largest.
- Fullscreen: Click to make the patient's video fill the entire screen.
- Pop out: Click to pop the video out of the grid layout and onto the bottom right corner of the room. Click Move to Grid to return the video to the layout.
Learn more about the desktop telehealth visit room and layout options.
The patient hovers over their video and taps the more options icon. Depending on the device, there are several mobile layout options available that include:
- Edit display name: Tap to change the display name shown to everyone in the room.
- Switch Camera: Tap to toggle between the front and rear facing camera.
- Zoom out: Tap to zoom out of the video.
- Maximize: Tap to make the patient's video the largest.
- Fullscreen: Tap to make the patient's video fill the entire screen.
- Pop out: Tap to pop the video out of the grid layout and onto the bottom right corner of the room. Tap Move to Grid to return the video to the layout.
If another participant shares their screen, the screenshare window is automatically maximized. The patient can hover over the screenshare and tap the more options icon, then select Zoom in, Minimize, or Fullscreen when available.