Add New Patient
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Watch a demonstration of some of the features covered in this article in our Add Patient Demographics video.
Patient charts are used to schedule appointments and manage patient information, including demographics, contacts, and appointments. To import bulk patient data, contact the Kareo Success Team.
Add a New Patient
First, search for the patient to prevent a record duplication.
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name in the top navigation bar search box.
- If the patient does not appear in the auto-populated results, click the link to create a new patient record. The Create Patient window opens.
Note: A new patient record can also be created from the New Appointment window. See Add or Edit Patient Chart from Appointment to learn more.
- Enter the required patient information: First Name, Last Name, DOB (date of birth), Sex, and Mobile Phone number.
- Click Show More to enter home or work phone numbers (optional).
- Click Edit next to Billing Profile to add insurance information (optional). The Billing Information window opens.
- Click to select if the Payment Method is Insurance or Self Pay.
Note: If patient is Self Pay, skip to step 14.
- Plan Name: Enter the first 2-3 letters of the insurance plan name in the field provided and and select it from the auto-populated results.
Note: If the plan does not display in the list, do not select Click to create new. This option does not allow a billing address to be entered for the plan. Instead, message Billing Support and request to add the plan to your account.
- Enter the Policy Number as shown on the patient's insurance card.
- Click Check Eligibility, select the patient's provider from the drop down menu in the pop-up window, and click Run Eligibility Check. The pop-up window closes and the current status displays next to Eligibility.
- Click the drop-down arrow and choose the appropriate provider from the list.
- Click Run Eligibility Check. The Billing Information window re-opens and eligibility status displays under the policy number.
- Enter optional notes in the Note field.
- Click Add Secondary Insurance to enter secondary plan and policy number, if applicable.
- Click Save. The Create Patient window re-opens and the billing information displays in the Billing Profile section.
- Enter the patient's Email and Address in the Additional Contact Information section (optional).
- Click Create Patient. The patient record is created and the patient's Demographics window opens.
Learn about adding or editing patient Demographics information here.