Collect Patient Payment
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Watch a demonstration of the features covered in this article in our Collect Patient Payment video.
The Collect Payment feature provides an easy way to record patient payments for copays and outstanding account balances.
Important notes regarding collecting patient payments:
- If you have activated the Patient Payments feature on your account, you can process credit card payments through Kareo using Stripe.
- An itemized receipt can be printed at the end of the Collect Payment transaction.
- A modified receipt that includes only the payment confirmation number, date payment was processed, and amount paid can be sent to the patient's email address.
- Once a payment is submitted, it shows as an Unapplied Payment until it's added to the patient's account by the Kareo Success Team.
Initiate the Collect Payment Workflow
Patient payments are most commonly collected from within the patient's record or from an appointment on the Agenda.
From the Agenda
- Hover over the Platform icon and click Agenda. The Agenda opens.
- Click on a patient name to open the appointment card.
- Click More Options and select Collect Payment from the drop-down menu. The Collect a Payment window opens.
- Alternatively, if the patient has an outstanding balance, click Collect Payment next to the amount due. The Collect a Payment window opens.
From the Patient's Record
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name in the top navigation search box.
- Click to select the patient from the auto-populated results. The patient's record opens to the Face Sheet.
- Click Collect Payment at the top of the window. The Collect a Payment window opens.
Collect Patient Payment
Review patient information, view outstanding charges and unapplied payments, and enter a new payment made by credit/debit card, cash, or check.
- Is the patient in front of you?:
- Applies to credit/debit card payments only.
- Yes is selected by default. Click No if the patient is not present.
- Click What's this? to learn about transaction fees for credit/debit card payments.
- Total Account Balance: Click Total Account Balance to see an overview of charges and unapplied payments.
- Click the printer icon to open and print a summary of the Balance Details.
- Payment Amount: By default, the total account balance populates. Enter a different payment amount, if desired.
- Add Payment Note:
- Payment Notes are only visible within the practice and do not print on the patient receipt.
- Click Add Payment Note to open the dialog box.
- Enter details about the payment, including any reference number, the check number, last four digits of the payment card, or the date(s) of service if the payment is being applied to an outstanding balance (e.g., "$60 payment: $20 copay/$40 encounter 6-12-16").
- Payment Method: Click to select how the payment will be made.
- Use Saved Credit Card: This option displays if a payment card was previously saved in the patient's record. Click the Choose the card to use drop-down arrow and select the card from the list.
- Use New Credit Card:
- Enter the Name on Card, Card Number, Expiration Date, and three-digit CVV code.
- Check the "Save this credit card on file" box (optional) to securely save the credit card information in the patient's record for future payments.
- Note: A patient agreement must be collected before checking this box. Click the Download Patient Agreement link below the checkbox complete the agreement.
- Click Finalize Payment. The Collect a Payment confirmation window opens.
Review the information in the confirmation window.
- Click Back to return to the previous window and make changes.
- Check the "Create itemized receipt" box to generate a detailed receipt that can be printed for the patient. If the box is left unchecked, a non-itemized receipt will display.
- Click Submit Payment. The Receipt window opens.
Note: A submitted payment will show as an Unapplied Payment until it is applied to the patient's account by the Kareo Success Team.
If the Create an itemized receipt box was checked in the previous window, a detailed receipt will display. If the box was left unchecked, a non-itemized payment receipt will display.
- Click Print at the bottom of the window to print the receipt for the patient.
- Click Email at the bottom of the window to email the patient a modified receipt that shows only the payment confirmation number, date payment was processed, and amount paid. Note that the full itemized and non-itemized receipts can only be printed and will not be sent via email.