Send a Referral by eFax
Save as PDF
Using eFax for referrals is an easy and secure way to transmit and receive patient data. The flexibility of eFax provides greater productivity and allows you to easily share important patient documentation with other providers. A patient referral is initiated from within a signed clinical note and includes a Transition Of Care (TOC) and the option to attach an encounter note. In addition to eFax, patient referrals can be sent through Direct Message, or by downloading and printing the file. A history of your patient referrals can be viewed and managed in Referrals section located under the Clinical icon.
Note: When a referral comes back, mark it as received under Referrals as part of your Meaningful Use CQM measures.
Navigate to Patient Record / Notes
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name in the top navigation search box.
- Click to select the patient from the auto-populated results. The patient's record opens to the Face Sheet.
- Click Notes on the left menu. The Notes page opens.
- Click View on the right of the appropriate signed note. The note opens.
Send Referral by eFax
- From within a note, click Send Referral by on the bottom taskbar and select eFax.
- First-time users of eFax are prompted to enter their fax number and upload a logo that will appear on the fax cover page; this is optional.
- Step 1: Demographics
- Sent to: Enter the receiving practice or provider's name.
Note: If you've previously sent an eFax to a provider/practice, type the first three letters of the name and select from the auto-populated results. The Sent to, Fax Number, and Specialty fields will auto-populate. To delete a provider/practice from the list, click the "x" to the right of the name.
- Fax Number: Enter the recipient's fax number.
- Specialty: Select the specialty (optional).
- Message: For your convenience, the Message is auto-populated with the sending and receiving provider names, patient name, and any attachments included in the referral. The message can be edited, if desired.
- Step 2: Attachments
- Click the "Encounter Note" checkbox to include the encounter note with the referral (optional).
- By default, all items are selected in the Summary of Care. Click to uncheck the boxes of items you do not wish to include in the referral summary.
- To view the referral before faxing, click the Send eFax drop-down arrow and select Preview eFax.
- Click Send eFax to fax the patient referral.
- A confirmation window opens displaying the recipient's fax number. Click to Close the window or Send another eFax referral.
Visit the Referrals page under the Clinical icon menu to view and manage all of your patient referrals. You'll see the status of your eFax referrals and have the ability to re-send an eFax that failed.