ePrescribe Controlled Substance (EPCS)
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Kareo Clinical offers medical professionals the ability to write prescriptions for controlled substances that can be printed for a patient or sent to a pharmacy electronically. With each new medication, Kareo Clinical automatically checks for and alert the prescriber of any drug-drug interactions and allergic reactions.
EPCS enrollment is required for providers to send controlled substances electronically.
Access Patient Medications
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name or date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) in the top navigation bar search box.
- Click to select the patient from the auto-populated results. The patient's record opens to the Face Sheet.
- Click Medications. The Active Medications page opens.
- Click + Prescription. The Prescribe Medication page opens.
- Enter prescription details:
- Drug: Enter the name of the drug to return a list of matching drugs with the dosage and dispense forms. Select the desired drug from the list.
Tip: When the desired drug is not listed, enter additional drug information (e.g., generic drug name, entire drug name, "ER" for extended release drugs, dosage, or dispense form) to narrow the search.
Note: Custom drugs are not available for ePrescribing.
- To prescribe a drug favorite, click Favorites and select the drug and dispense form.
- To create a new drug favorite, click to select "Add drug to favorites".
- If the prescribed drug is currently on the patient's Active Medications List or a therapeutic equivalent, select a response to the warning to proceed.
- Dosage Calculator: Click to utilize a dosage calculator. When available, patient weight is pre-populated based on last vitals taken. If a liquid drug is selected, the liquid formulation is also pre-populated.
- Pt. Instructions: Enter prescription instructions for the patient or click Build Instructions to create prescription instructions for the patient by selecting from pre-set options for Dose, Unit, Route, Frequency, Directions, and Duration.
- Quantity: Click the drop-down and select from available quantity options for the drug.
- Refill: Refills are only available to be entered for new prescriptions for controlled substances on Schedule III-IV drugs.
- To prescribe a controlled substance for a future date, select an Effective On date.
Tip: Create new prescriptions with future effective dates to provide patients with an ongoing supply of the controlled substance.
- To allow the use of a generic version of the drug, click to select "Allow Substitution".
- Days supply: Enter the prescription days supply.
Note: For CQM reporting purposes only. The days supply will not be sent electronically to the pharmacy or populate on a printed prescription.
- Reason For Rx: Enter an ICD-10 code or click Browse for more options.
- If applicable, click Add Another Reason to enter a second diagnosis.
- Pharmacy: Click the drop-down to select from the patient's preferred pharmacies or click Find a Pharmacy to search for a pharmacy.
- Pharmacy Notes: Enter any instructions for the pharmacy; these will not appear on the prescription label.
- Supervising Provider: If applicable, select a supervising provider from the drop-down to send electronically.
Note: Only active providers who are eRx enrolled will populate in the drop-down list. Supervising providers will not populate on printed prescriptions.
- View the selected pharmacy's discounted rate for the medication and choose how to send the Rx Savings Coupon to the patient.
- Click Validate to electronically send the controlled substance. The New Prescription (Preview) pop-up window opens.
- To generate a paper prescription, click Print Rx.
- Review the Patient, Medication, Pharmacy, and Prescriber details for accuracy.
- To make changes, click Edit to return to the prescription.
- Click Send Now to proceed. The EPCSGold page opens in a new browser.
- Click to select the prescription.
- Select the token Device from the drop down.
- Enter the passphrase created during EPCS user registration.
- Enter the PIN from the token.
Tip: If the PIN is about to expire, wait for the next PIN to generate to avoid repeating this step.
- Click Sign and Send when finished.