- Last updated
Save as PDF
Kareo Clinical enables medical professionals to write prescriptions for drugs, durable medical equipment (DME), or supplies that can be printed for the patient or sent electronically to the pharmacy. With each new medication prescribed, Kareo Clinical automatically checks for, and alerts you to, the potential for significant drug-drug interactions or allergic reactions. When ePrescribing a medication, any communication from the pharmacy about the prescription appears on both the eRx Request page and the Medications page in the patient's record.
Note: Electronic DME prescriptions are currently limited to diabetic supplies and equipment. eRx packaged drug classes (e.g., crutches, walkers, and etc) are not available to prescribe electronically.
Access Patient Medications
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name or date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) in the top navigation bar search box.
- Click to select the patient from the auto-populated results. The patient's record opens to the Face Sheet.
- Click Medications. The Active Medications page opens.
- Click + Prescription. The Prescribe Medication page opens.
- Enter prescription details:
- Drug: Enter the name of the drug, DME, or supplies to return a list of matching results with the applicable dosage and dispense forms. Select the desired result from the list.
Tip: When the desired drug is not listed, enter additional drug information (e.g., generic drug name, entire drug name, "ER" for extended release drugs, dosage, or dispense form) to narrow the search.
Note: Custom drugs are not available for ePrescribing.
- To prescribe a drug favorite, click Favorites and select the drug and dispense form.
- To create a new drug favorite, click to select "Add drug to favorites".
- If the prescribed drug is currently on the patient's Active Medications List or a therapeutic equivalent, select a response to the warning to proceed.
- Dosage Calculator: Click to utilize a dosage calculator. When available, patient weight is pre-populated based on last vitals taken. If a liquid drug is selected, the liquid formulation is also pre-populated.
- Pt. Instructions: Enter prescription instructions for the patient or click Build Instructions to create prescription instructions for the patient by selecting from pre-set options for Dose, Unit, Route, Frequency, Directions, and Duration.
- Quantity: Click the drop-down and select from available quantity options for the drug.
Note: The quantity description of the medication being prescribed displays on the right of the Quantity amount and the Total quantity updates based on the amount entered.
- To indicate a partial dispensing, enter a decimal value leading with a zero (e.g., "0.5") as the Quantity.
- Refill: Click the drop-down and select the number of refills for the prescription.
- To allow the use of a generic version of the drug, click to select "Allow Substitution".
- Days supply: Enter the prescription days supply.
Note: For CQM reporting purposes only. The days supply will not be sent electronically to the pharmacy or populate on a printed prescription.
- Reason For Rx: Enter an ICD-10 code or click Browse for more options.
- If applicable, click Add Another Reason to enter a second diagnosis.
- Pharmacy: Click the drop-down to select from the patient's preferred pharmacies or click Find a Pharmacy to search for a pharmacy.
- Pharmacy Notes: Enter any instructions for the pharmacy; these will not appear on the prescription label.
- Supervising Provider: When necessary, select a supervising provider from the drop-down to send electronically.
Note: Only active providers who are eRx enrolled will populate in the drop-down list. Supervising providers will not populate on printed prescriptions.
- View the selected pharmacy's discounted rate for the medication and choose how to send the Rx Savings Coupon to the patient.
- Prescribe the medication:
- To electronically send the prescription, click Preview and Send. Available for ePrescribing enrolled providers.
- To generate a paper prescription, click Print Rx.