Enter Historical Lab Results
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Existing lab results can be incorporated in a patient's chart. There's no need to route a lab for processing when you already have the results. Providers and Clinical Assistants can create a placeholder for the historical lab, or document results in the record.
These results can be entered into a discrete lab result form, or by scanning the paper result and uploading the image, or by entering results in the comments field. Discrete lab entry forms only exist for labs on Kareo's commonly performed lab list.*
Navigate to Labs/Studies
Click Labs/Studies under Outstanding Items on the Agenda. The Labs/Studies window opens.
Hover over the Clinical icon in the top menu and click Labs/Studies. The Labs/Studies window opens.
Add Lab Report
- Click the Open drop-down arrow and select Add Lab Report. The Add Lab Report window opens.
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name and select it from the auto-populated results. (This field does not display when ordering a lab from within a note.)
- Click to select either a Labs or Studies/Imaging order.
- Optionally, enter information about where the lab report came from.
- Select which provider should review the lab report from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the Result Date and Time. This will be saved to the patient's chart as the date the lab was performed.
- Enter the first few letters of the diagnosis in the Add a diagnosis field. The patient’s active diagnosis list and matching search results display. Double-click the diagnosis from the list.
- Type the first few letters of the lab, study, or imaging name in the Search Labs / Search Studies/Imaging field. Double-click the desired lab, study, or imaging from the auto-populated list.
- Click Add Lab Report. The Results Entry window opens.
Enter Lab Results
If the selected lab(s) is on Kareo's commonly performed lab list*, a discrete data entry form will be available.
- Enter discrete lab results in the provided fields. Select a lab Component from the drop-down and enter the numeric Value. Optionally, select a Range value of Low, Normal, or High, and enter any Lab Comments about the component.
- Click + Add Row to add another component measure to the lab results.
- Optionally, type any notes in the Add a comment... field for the specific lab. Then click Submit. The entered comments will display under Comments.
- To enter results manually, type results in the Add a comment... field for the specific lab.
- Click Submit. The entered results display under comments.
- To upload results from one or more documents scanned and saved to your computer, click Attachments. The Manage Attachments window opens.
- Click the browse for files link, then locate and double click a file to add it. Repeat to add an additional file, if necessary.
- Click the eye icon to view an attachment.
- Click the trash icon to delete an attachment.
- Click Done to add the attachment(s).
- When all results are added, click Mark All as Added. The Mark All as Added button becomes the Sign Off on All button.
- Click the printer icon to print the lab results, if desired.
To sign off on the results, click Sign Off on All.
- Click Save and Close. Signed results appear under Recently Signed on the Labs/Studies page, and as Signed in the patient's chart. Results that still need to be signed appear under Results Available on the Labs/Studies page and as Results Ready in the patient’s chart.
*Kareo's Commonly Performed Lab List
- Cholesterol Total*
- Ejection Fraction Study*
- Fecal Occult Blood
- Hemoglobin A1C*
- Influenza A/B
- Lipid Panel*
- Pregnancy Test
- Rapid Strep
- RSV Rapid Test
- Urinalysis w/Microscopy
To recommend additional point-of-care tests for our consideration, or to provide general feature feedback, please fill out our one-minute survey.