An Alternative Payment Model (APM) is an approach to payment, developed in partnership with clinician communities, providing incentives to clinicians to provide high-quality and cost effective care. Providers must apply to participate in APMs.
Advanced APMs are a subset of APMs and let practices earn more for taking on more risk. The APMs must be approved by CMS and for 2017, there are only 8 approved Advanced APMs.
- Comprehensive ESRD Care (CEC) – Large Dialysis Organization (LDO)
- Comprehensive ESRD Card – Non-LDO
- Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+)
- Next Generation ACO Model
- Shared Savings Program – Track 2
- Shared Savings Program – Track 3
- Oncology Care Model (two-sided risk arrangement)
Providers who participate successfully in an Advanced APM are exempt from MIPS reporting and have the potential to earn a 5% Medicare incentive payments during 2019 through 2024.
Each APM and Advanced APM has unique requirements, please contact your APM program coordinator to discuss program and technology requirements.