For most participants, the requirement for Improvement Activities for MIPS is to attest that you completed four improvement activities. Activities are categorized as “high” or “medium”, earning 20 or 10 points, respectively. Participants may complete any combination of high and medium activities as they desire. Full credit is achieved at 60 points, and bonus points can be achieved by using a CEHRT for designated activities. If you are in a certified patient centered medical home, you automatically get full credit.
Some examples of high-weighted activities include:
- Beneficiary Engagement: collection and follow-up on patient experience and satisfaction data on beneficiary engagement, including development of improvement plan.
- Patient Safety and Practice Assessment: Consultation of Prescription Drug Monitoring Program prior to the issuance of a Controlled Substance Schedule II opioid prescription that lasts longer than 3 days.
Some examples of medium-weight activities include:
- Care Coordination: ensure that there is bilateral exchange of necessary patient information to guide patient care that could include one or more of the following: participate in a Health Information Exchange, if available, and/or use structured referral notes.
- Population Management: Participation in research that identified interventions, tools or processes that can improve a targeted patient population.
Advancing Care Bonus Eligible Improvement Activities
A set of 18 improvement activities have been identified as tied to the objectives, measures and CEHRT functions of the Advancing Care Information performance category. Successful completion of any of these activities can qualify the provider for a bonus in the advancing care information performance category. Sixteen of the measures require successful implementation of the 2015 Edition CEHRT which Kareo will achieve by January 1, 2018.
For the 2017 year, the following two activities can be implemented for bonus opportunity.
- Implementation of use of specialist reports back to referring clinician or group to close referral loop
- Use of decision support and standardized treatment protocols
There are 93 improvement activities to choose from. Please visit CMS’s Improvement Activities page for more information.