CMS 144 - Heart Failure (HF): Beta-Blocker Therapy for Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction (LVSD)
- Last updated
Save as PDF
CMS 144 / Quality ID# 008
Percentage of patients aged 18 years and older with a diagnosis of heart failure (HF) with a current or prior left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) <40% who were prescribed beta-blocker therapy either within a 12-month period when seen in the outpatient setting or at each hospital discharge.
||All patients aged 18 years and older at the start of the measurement period with a diagnosis of heart failure with a current or prior LVEF <40% and had two qualifying encounters.
- Patient’s age is calculated based on the patient’s Date of Birth, which is entered when you created the patient’s account.
- Create a note detailing the patient’s office visit.
- The diagnosis of "Heart Failure or Moderately" or "Severely Depressed Left Ventricular Systolic Function" is entered in the patient’s Problem List with a Start Date.
- LVEF results are manually entered in Labs/Studies.
||Patients who were beta-blocker therapy either within a 12-month period when seen in the outpatient setting.
- Beta Blocker Therapy is either prescribed at the time of the visit or within the twelve months prior to the visit and included in Medications.
- Documentation of medical reason(s) for not prescribing beta-blocker therapy (e.g., low blood pressure, fluid overload, asthma, patients recently treated with an intravenous positive inotropic agent, intolerance, other medical reasons). Include a Start Date when adding any of these diagnosis in Problems, these patients will be excluded from the denominator.
- If "Allergy to Beta Blocker Therapy" is documented in the Allergies with a Start Date, these patients will be excluded from the numerator.
- If there was a Medical, Patient, or System Reason for not prescribing ACE inhibitor or ARB therapy, add the medication as Not Administered and select a reason (Medical Contraindication, Refusal of Treatment by Patient, Treatment not Available) for non administration.
|Office Visit Documentation:
Once all steps have been completed, the measure will be added to the Quality Measures Report.
|High Priority Measure: