Percentage of patients aged 18 years and older with a diagnosis of heart failure (HF) with a current or prior left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) <40% who were prescribed beta-blocker therapy either within a 12 month period when seen in the outpatient setting or at each hospital discharge
Denominator: All patients aged 18 years and older with a diagnosis of heart failure with a current or prior LVEF <40%.
- Patient’s age is calculated based on the patient’s Date of Birth, which is entered when you created the patient’s account.
- The diagnosis of Heart Failure or Moderately or Severely Depressed Left Ventricular Systolic Function is entered in the patient’s Problem List. See Add Problem to Patient’s Chart.
- Make sure to add a Start Date to the problem.
- LVEF results are indicated in Labs/Studies.
Numerator: Patients who were beta-blocker therapy either within a 12 month period when seen in the outpatient setting or at each hospital discharge
- Beta Blocker Therapy is either prescribed at the time of the visit or within the twelve months prior to the visit and included in Medications. See See Prescribe/ePrescribe a Medication.
- If Arrhythmia, Hypotension, Asthma, Bradycardia, Atrioventricular Block, and/or Cardiac Pacer in Situ are documented in the Problem List, each with a Start Date, these patients will be excluded from the numerator.
- If Allergy to Beta Blocker Therapy is documented in the Allergies, with a Start Date, these patients will be excluded from the numerator.
- If there was a Medical, Patient or System Reason for not prescribing Beta Blocker Therapy, please indicate on the Exclusion Section. See How to document an exclusion.
Office Visit Documentation:
- Create a Note detailing the patient’s office visit. See Create a Note.
- Make sure to include an E&M code under “Procedure Codes” on the Superbill. See Create a Superbill.
- Sign the Note. See Sign Notes. Once the note is signed, the measure will be added to the Quality Report.