Percentage of children 3 months to 18 years of age who were diagnosed with pharyngitis, ordered an antibiotic and received a group A streptococcus (strep) test for the episode
Denominator: Children 3 months through 18 years of age who had an outpatient or emergency department (ED) visit with a diagnosis of pharyngitis during the measurement period and an antibiotic ordered on or three days after the visit.
- Patient’s age is calculated based on the patient’s Date of Birth, which is entered when you created the patient’s account.
- The diagnosis of Pharyngitis is entered in the patient’s Problem List. See Add Problem to Patient’s Chart.
- Make sure to add a Start Date to the problem.
- An antibiotic was prescribed in Medications with a Start Date on or three days after the visit. See Prescribe/ePrescribe a Medication.
Denominator Exceptions: Patients who use hospice services any time during the measurement period or, children who are taking antibiotics in the 30 days prior to the diagnosis of pharyngitis.
Numerator: Children with a group A streptococcus test in the 7-day period from 3 days prior through 3 days after the pharyngitis episode date.
- Group A streptococcus test needs to be ordered under Labs/Studies. See Create Lab Order Request.
Numerator Exceptions: None
Office Visit Documentation:
- Create a Note detailing the patient’s office visits. See Create a Note.
- Make sure to include an E&M code under “Procedure Codes” on the Superbill. Only E&M appropriate for an office visit should be used. No ED visit codes. See Create a Superbill.
- Sign the Note. See Sign Notes. Once the note is signed, the measure will be added to the Quality Report.
Quality ID #066
Measure type: Process
High Priority Measure: Yes