Use Refund tasks to manage refunds to insurance plans and patients for overpayment of medical claims. See also Reverse Payment.
To issue a refund
- Click Encounters >Find Payments.
- In the Look For search bar, enter all or part of a keyword to find the payment.
- Once you find the payment, double-click the record to open it.
- Click Refunds at the bottom of the window.
- Select "Refund Unapplied Amount."
- Complete the refund details: See below.
- Click Save.
- Recipient Type: Select the recipient of the refund - Patient or Insurance.
- Based on Recipient Type, select the patient or insurance by clicking the button.
- Issue Date: Select the date that the refund is being issued.
- Refund Method: Select how the refund is being issued.
- Memo: Optional. Enter a note about the refund if desired.
- Status: Select the status of the refund - Draft or Issued.
- Ref. #: Optional. Enter a tracking number for the refund (i.e.: Check number).