Document storage within the Desktop Application (PM) is available to all Kareo clients. On some Kareo plans, document storage limits and fees may apply. Please contact Kareo Customer Support for information about storage limitations associated with your account.
Tips to help maximize storage space
Documents can be scanned directly into Kareo using any Windows-compatible, TWAIN-compliant scanner. We recommend scanning documents at the lowest resolution and in black and white whenever possible. Resolution is counted in terms of dots per inch (dpi). The lower the dpi, the lower the quality of the scan. However, lower resolution images also take up less storage. For all but very detailed images, we recommend keeping the resolution around 150 dpi.
Documents with colored images affect your storage space — the less color in a document, the less storage space is required. For image that do not require color or a lot of detail, we recommend keeping the Color Mode set to Black and White.
- Colored images require at least 24 times the amount of storage than black and white.
- Black and white images require only 30-50 KB of storage per scanned page around 150 dpi.
- Grayscale images will store a black and white image, but will differentiate shades of gray. Grayscale requires at least 8 times more storage than black and white images.
- Palette images (if available with your scanner) will store some limited color information and will take as much storage as grayscale images.
- If certain pages within a document require more detail than black and white, try grayscale first before opting for color. If you need to scan information that requires color, do so only for the few pages that require it.
For detailed instructions on scanning, faxing and storing documents, see Documents in the Kareo help files. Information about TWAIN-compliant devices can be found at twain.org.