Referring physicians are generally third-party physicians who have referred patients to various providers within a practice. Maintaining a list of referring physicians is important for several reasons:
- Many insurance companies require information about referring physicians for proper reimbursement.
- Analysis reports can be used to track the income generated from referrals.
- Referring physician records include information you may need in order to contact them.
Note: Kareo PM is a permission-driven application. Your permission level is determined by your Kareo PM application administrator. If you don't have access to a specific task or function described within these help topics, please contact the person in your office who is the Kareo PM application administrator.
To add a referring physician
- Click Settings >Other Lists >Find Referring Physicians.
- In the Look For search bar, enter all or part of a keyword an d click Find Now.
Note: To avoid duplication, a best practice is to first search the referring physician database to see if the referring physician already exists in the system.
- If the referring physician is not in the system, click New at the bottom.
- On the General tab, enter the information for the referring physician. See below.
- Click Save or the Claim Settings tab to complete claims settings information for this referring physician.
- Referring Physician Identification
- Full Name: Required. Enter the referring physician's full name.
- Date of Birth: Enter the referring physician's date of birth using the formation "MM/DD/YYYY" (e.g., 05/25/1960).
- NPI: Required. Enter the referring physician's individual National Provider Identifier (NPI) number (not the group National Provider Identifier (NPI) number).
- SSN: If available, enter the referring physician's 9-digit Social Security number (not the Employer's Identification Number (EIN)).
- Specialty: Click the Specialty button and select the referring physician's main specialty from the list of Taxonomy Codes.
Note: The Taxonomy Codes are defined by the American Medical Association and the Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The list of Taxonomy Codes are updated and maintained by Kareo PM.
- Degree: Enter the referring physician's degree (e.g., MD, DO, PhD, MET).
- Type: Leave this field blank. This field relates to providers within the practice only and not to outside referring physicians.
- Referring Physician Contact Information
- Address: Required. Enter the referring physician's complete office address, including 9-digit zip code.
- Email Address: Enter the referring physician's email address if available.
- Home: Enter phone numbers in the format “(xxx) xxx-xxxx” (e.g., (714) 555-1234).
- Work: Enter the referring physician's work phone number.
- Mobile: Enter the referring physician's mobile phone number.
- Pager: Enter the referring physician's pager number.
- Fax: Enter the referring physician's fax number.
- Encounter Form: Leave this field blank. This field relates to providers within the practice only and not to outside referring physicians.
- User: Leave this field blank. This field is used for providers within the practice who use the Kareo PM Practitioner software for accessing Kareo PM from a mobile device.
- Notes: Enter any notes to store with the referring physician record.