Add a Paper-Based Workers' Compensation Insurance Company
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Workers' Compensation payers that do not support electronic claim submission can be added to Kareo as paper-based payers. The insurance company record stores general insurance company information and paper claim settings. Claims for paper-based payers are submitted by mail from your practice directly to the insurance company.
For an additional fee, Kareo offers an additional option for workers' compensation payers that do not support electronic claims. Read more about how payers can be set up as an ePaper Payer ("drop-to-paper") that enables your practice to submit claims electronically to Jopari and have the clearinghouse mail the claim to the payer.
Add a New Paper Claim Insurance Company
- Click Settings on the top menu and select Insurance > Find Insurance Company. The Find Insurance Company window opens.
Note: To avoid duplication, a best practice is to first search the insurance database to see if the insurance company already exists in the system.
- Enter the insurance company name in the Look for: field.
- Click Find Now.
- If the insurance company is not in the system, click New at the bottom. The New Insurance Company window opens.
- Name: Enter insurance company name.
- Address (optional): Enter insurance company address. Note: This address will not appear anywhere on a claim.
- Insurance Program: Select the insurance program type from the drop-down list.
- Default Adjustment: Select an adjustment code from the drop-down list to auto-populate the Contractual Adjustment field when manually posting payments. If you are not sure what to select, leave the selection at Default.
- Notes (optional): Enter any notes for your records regarding this insurance company.
- Contact (optional): Enter the insurance company contact information.
- Scope: select an option from the drop-down list.
- Practice Specific: The insurance company is available only to the practice you are logged into.
- All Practices: The insurance company is available to all practices associated with the Kareo PM account (company).
- Click the Practice Settings tab at the top of the window.
- Click the Enrollment Status drop-down arrow and select Not Enrolled.
- Check the following boxes:
- "Disable electronic claims for this biller"
- "Send Coordination of Benefits (COB) information"
- "Provider accepts assignment of benefits"
- "Exclude patient payments from claims sent to insurance"
- "Allow zero balance transfers on claims"
- Click Save.