Sometimes you need to make an adjustment off of a balance; for example, removing the cost of a patient visit for a provider’s family member or writing off a bad debt.
To post an adjustment
- Click Encounters>Find Payments.
- Once you find the payment, double-click the record to open it. If applicable, uncheck the "Show unapplied only" box to search through all records.
- Click the Apply tab.
- Check the box of the line of service that shows the balance you want to adjust.
- Click More + on the lower right of the window.
- Post the adjustment. See image below.
- As a final step, if the adjustment creates a $0.00 balance, you must then settle the balance:
Select Settle form the drop-down menu and click Post.
- Select Adjustment from the first drop-down menu.
- Select the adjustment code from the second drop-down menu.
- Enter the adjustment amount and click Post.