Some situations require you to reverse a payment. For example, if a patient makes a copay at the time of service and then later finds out the insurance will cover it, you may need to reverse the payment. You can then either refund the payment to the patient or apply it later to another line of service.
To reverse a payment
- Click Encounters >Find Payments.
- Enter all or part of a keyword to find the payment.
If applicable, uncheck the "Show unapplied only" box to search through all records.
- Once you find the payment, double-click the record to open it.
- Click the Apply tab.
Check the box of the line of service that shows the payment you want to reverse (noted in the "This Payment" column).
- Click More + on the lower right of the window.
- Post a reverse payment. See below.
- Once the reverse payment has been posted, click Save.
- Select Payment from the drop-down list. Enter the amount you want to reverse using the minus (-) sign. Click Post.
- The payment will now show as reversed and remains unapplied until you refund it or apply it to a future line of service.