After a payment has been entered (see Enter Payments from Patient or EOB), the appropriate amounts of the payment are applied to the service lines within the Kareo PM system.
To apply payments
- After payment information has been entered on the General tab click Apply Now.
- On the Apply tab, select the encounter or the patient.
- Select the service line and enter payment amount: See below.
- Once payments have been applied, do one of the following:
- Click Next Line to move to the next service line.
- Click Add Encounter to select another encounter.
- Click Save & New to save the payment record and enter a new payment.
- Click Save to save the payment record.
- Claim ID (encounter number).
- Lines of service associated with an encounter.
- List of transactions as payment is being applied.
- Add Encounter or Patient: Allows you to pull up the service lines you want to work with. For encounter: Select "Add Encounter"; in the blank field enter the full or partial encounter number printed on the EOB. For patient: Select "Add Patient" from the drop-down list; in the blank field enter the full or partial name of the patient.
- Payer: The Payer field is auto-populated with what you entered under theGeneral tab.
- Allowed: Enter the allowed amount as reported on the EOB. If a claim has been denied, leave the allowed field at $0.00.
- Contract Adj: Auto-calculated after you entered the Allowed amount. Optional: Select an adjustment code from the drop-down list on the right. These codes are set up in the Kareo PM system by your administrator. See New Insurance Company.
- Second Adj: If applicable, enter a second adjustment reported on the EOB. Optional: Select an adjustment code from the drop-down list on the right. These codes are set up in the Kareo PM system by your administrator. See New Insurance Company.
- Paid: Enter the portion of the payment that is to be applied to this claim.
- Deductible: If applicable, enter the deductible amount reported on the EOB.
- Coinsurance: If applicable, enter the coinsurance amount reported on the EOB.
- Copay: If applicable, enter the copay amount reported on the EOB.
- Status: How any remaining balance will be handled after the payment and adjustments have been applied. You can override Default by selecting an action from the drop-down list. Optional: Select a Status reason code from the drop-down list on the right.
- Note: Optional: Enter any free form notes as necessary.
*You can use your Tab key to navigate to each field.*