Before you can connect Kareo to a third-party app, you'll need to locate your Customer Key. As an added security measure, Kareo Web Services API requires the use of a Customer Key (in addition to your login and password) to access your data. A Customer Key is an account-specific identifier that is the same for all users on the account. The Key never changes or expires, and it can be accessed from within Kareo PM at any time.
Note that the Customer Key is only required when pairing Kareo Practice Management with a partner EHR. It's not needed for Kareo EHR.
To get your Customer Key
- Log into Kareo PM and click Help in the top menu.
- Click Get Customer Key.
- Your Customer Key displays in the center window.
Once you have your Customer Key, your System Administrator must also set your Kareo user account permissions to allow API access to your data.
To enable API access
- Click Settings in the top menu and select User Accounts.
- Click the user account you want to update.
- Click Permissions in the top menu.
- Scroll down to the Practice Permissions table.
- Check the "Full Control" box for EHRs & API.
- Scroll to the bottom of the window and click Save Changes.