An encounter can only be edited if it’s in the "Draft," "Review," or "Rejected" stage; you should not attempt to edit an encounter once it’s been approved. There are, however, two exceptions to this rule:
- If an encounter is in the “Approved” stage but the claims generated from the approved encounter have not yet been billed, a user with appropriate permissions can unapprove an encounter by clicking the Unapprove button on the bottom menu bar. This deletes all claims associated with the encounter and sends the encounter back to the “Review” stage; from there the encounter can be edited.
- If an encounter has already been billed but a rejection from Kareo PM, the clearinghouse or payer has been received, the encounter record can be opened from the clearinghouse report and necessary edits can be made. The claims associated with the encounter are then rebilled. For more information about editing and rebilling claims, see Edit Claims.
To edit an encounter
- Click Encounters > Find Encounter in the top menu.
- Click a tab to search various stages of the encounter process. Select the All tab if you're unsure.
- In the Look For search bar, enter all or part of a keyword and click Find Now.
- Once you find the encounter, double-click to open it.
- Make the changes and select the appropriate action on the bottom menu bar.