As part of the new 5010 claim submission requirements, you must provide a concise description of the procedure or services that refer to NOC (Not Otherwise Classified) Codes.
To add an NOC description to a service line
- In the Encounter window, go to the Procedures section.
- Right-click on the line of service that needs a NOC code (or on the Procedure column) and select Customize. The Customization window opens.
- Double-click Line Note and Ref. Code. The Line Note and Ref. Code columns are added.
- Click the empty cell in the Ref. Code column and select ADD Additional Information from the drop-down menu.
- Click the empty cell in the Line Note column and type the NOC description as follows:
- Enter “NOC” in all caps followed by a space.
- After the space, enter the NOC information (cannot exceed 76 characters). Ensure this field has the information that the payer requires for the non-specific procedure code. (e.g., the NDC of the drug dispensed, name of the drug, quantity billed, and unit of issue.)
- Repeat steps 4–5 for all lines of service that require a NOC code.
- Click Save when finished with the encounter.
For more information on NOCs, visit: https://www.noridianmedicare.com/provider/updates/docs/Unlisted_NOC_Codes_Revised_0311_acro.pdf%3f.