Diagnosis Codes are used within the healthcare industry to identify specific medical diagnoses of patients receiving treatment. These codes correspond with the code list published quarterly by the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services branch of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Kareo PM application includes this database of standard codes which is updated every year. However, you can add your own diagnosis codes.
To add a new diagnosis code
- Click Settings > Codes > Find Diagnoses on the top menu.
Note: To avoid duplication, a best practice is to first search the database to see if the diagnosis code already exists in the system.
- If the diagnosis code is not in the system, click New at the bottom.
- In the Code field, enter a code (numbers and/or letters).
- In the Official Name field, enter a name for the diagnosis code; avoid abbreviating diagnosis code names when possible.
- In the Local Name field, if you want a more user-friendly name to appear on the encounter form, enter it in this field.
- The "Diagnosis is currently used" box is checked by default. Uncheck only if you want to render a diagnosis code inactive.
- Click Save.