Stripe Terminal: Collect Patient Payment
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Once the Stripe credit card terminal setup is complete for the WisePOS E or Verifone P400, you can begin to use the countertop card reader to take secure in-person payments. The terminal supports chip, swipe, and contactless payments, including Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Note: For more details about collecting a patient payment via other methods, review Collect Patient Payment.
Collect Patient Payment
- Navigate to the patient's record or existing appointment.
- Click Collect Patient Payment to initiate the transaction. The Collect Patient Payment window opens.
- Verify patient information, review outstanding charges and any unapplied payments.
- Payment Amount: By default the Total Account Balance populates. If needed, enter a different payment amount.
- To enter additional details about the payment (e.g., date of service), click Add Payment Note. This note is only visible to the practice and does not print on the patient receipt.
- Payment Method: Keep Credit Card selected by default. Then, click to select the Stripe terminal (WisePOS E or Verifone card reader).
- "Save this card on file" is selected by default to simultaneously save the new credit card on file and email the Credit Card Authorization form to the patient (Engage subscribers only). Otherwise, the patient agreement needs to be completed via paper.
Note: For convenience and optional use, click Download Patient Agreement for a template. Once the agreement is completed via paper, access the patient's payment cards to manually authorize the card.
- If card information needs to be manually entered, click + Manually Enter New Card and enter the information. When finished, click Finalize Payment and submit the payment.
- Click Connect To Terminal. The Waiting for customer to insert, tap or swipe to pay pop-up message displays.
- To cancel the payment, click cancel payment.
- Once the patient payment has successfully processed, the Receipt window opens.
Note: The submitted payment creates a Payment record as an Unapplied Payment until it is applied to the appropriate service(s) associated with the patient.
- For a detailed receipt (e.g., for FSA/HSA patients), click to select "Itemize Receipt".
- Click Print or Email to print or email the receipt.