Set Up Patient Payments
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Kareo's Patient Payments feature gives practices the ability to click and swipe to post a payment and make a transaction immediately. To begin taking payments in the Desktop Application (PM), have a System Administrator complete the brief setup with our partner, Stripe.
Stripe is a third-party vendor for secure business commerce that allows you to accept and process credit card payments over the Internet. In order for you to collect electronic payments using our Patient Payments feature, you must have a Stripe account.
- If you have multiple practices, completely log out of all other practice's Kareo sessions and Stripe dashboards (if applicable) before setting up the additional Stripe account.
- If the Patient Portal has not yet been activated, the practice will not have the ability to send patient statements via email to allow patients to access their statements and securely make payments online.
- There are specific categories such as online pharmacies, prescription-only products including card-not-present pharmaceuticals, cannabis related practices/consultations, and products and services with varying legal status on a state-by-state basis that may be restricted. Review Stripe Restricted Businesses for more details and for further questions, contact Stripe Support.
Set Up Patient Payments
- Click Settings > Patient Payments. The Patient Payments window opens.
- Click Setup Patient Payments. The Setup Patient Payments window opens.
- Review all of the information.
- Click View Pricing, View Terms & Conditions, and Tell me more about Stripe to expand the details.
- To agree to the terms, click Accept Terms & Continue. The Stripe window opens.
- Complete the following sections of the Stripe form.
Note: For any questions or assistance regarding the form, click Contact on the bottom of the window to reach Stripe support.
- Business details: The general information about the business.
- Select the Country from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the Business address and phone.
- Select the Type of business from the drop-down menu.
- Employer Identification Number (Optional): Enter the EIN or SSN for business tax purposes.
- Enter the Business website; otherwise, use a social media business profile.
- Select the Business description from the drop-down menu.
- Select when customers typically receive services from the drop-down menu.
- Individual or sole proprietor details: The individual or sole proprietor must activate their own account.
- Enter the Legal name, Phone number, Date of birth, Last 4 digits of the SSN, and Home address.
- Credit card statement details: The information that may appear on bank or credit card statements and can be changed at any time.
- Enter the State descriptor (e.g., a recognizable business name to prevent disputes).
- Enter the Support phone number.
- Customer support address: Leave "Use business address" on or turn off to enter a different address.
- Bank details: The checking account under the legal owner or business name must be provided.
- Enter the Routing number, Account number, and Confirm account number.
- Two-step authentication: Strengthen the security of the Stripe account by protecting it with either a phone or authenticator app in addition to the password.
- To enter a mobile number and receive a text message, click Get text message.
- To download a free Google Authenticator app, add a new account, and scan a barcode or enter a code manually, click Use an authenticator app.
- Save your Stripe account: Enter the credentials used for accessing the Stripe account.
- Enter the Email and Password.
- Click Authorize access to this account. The Stripe form is completed.
Once Patient Payments are enabled, purchase a card reader and begin collecting patient payments.
Note: Payments may still be collected without a card reader.