Collect Patient Payment
- Last updated
Save as PDF
The Collect Patient Payment feature provides an easy way to record or swipe a card to post patient payments for copays and outstanding account balances.
Note: To collect a patient payment via the terminal, review Stripe Terminal: Collect Patient Payment.
Collect Patient Payment
- Navigate to the patient's record or existing appointment.
- Click Collect Patient Payment to initiate the transaction. The Collect Patient Payment window opens.
- Verify patient information, review outstanding charges and unapplied payments.
- Patient name, DOB, phone and address.
- Click Total Account Balance to see an overview of charges and unapplied payments.
- To view a printable version of the Balance Details, click Print. Then print, if desired.
- Payment Amount: By default the Total Account Balance populates. If necessary, enter a different payment amount.
- To enter details about the payment (e.g., reference number, check number, date of service), click Add Payment Note.
Note: Payment Notes are only visible to the practice and do not print on the patient receipt.
- Payment Method: Click to select how the payment is being made.
- If Credit Card is selected as the method:
Note: Credit/debit card payments can only process for practices with an activated payments account.
- To record a credit card payment that has already been processed, click to select "Do not charge credit card. For recording purposes only.".
Note: When selected, the payment does not process through Stripe.
- Select card on file or enter new card:
- To use a saved card on file, click to select the card.
Note: Any Card Nickname(s) and Comments for Practice (Note) entered via patient intake (Engage subscribers), or entered by the practice under the patient's Payment Cards or when the card was initially saved via Collect Patient Payment, display in the card list. An authorized card indicates the patient signed and submitted the Credit Card Authorization form. An unauthorized card indicates the patient has not completed the form or the practice may have the agreement completed via paper.
- To swipe a new card or manually enter the Name on Card, Card Number, Expiration Date, and three-digit CVV code, click + Manually Enter New Card.
- By default, "Billing address is same as patient address" is selected. If necessary, click to deselect then enter a different billing address for the card.
- To simultaneously save the new card on file and email the Credit Card Authorization form to the patient (Engage subscribers only), click to select "Save this card on file". Otherwise, the patient agreement needs to be completed via paper.
Note: For convenience and optional use, click Download Patient Agreement for a template. Once the agreement is completed via paper, access the patient's payment cards to manually authorize the card.
- Enter optional Card Nickname and Comments for the Practice (up to 500 characters) for the card.
Note: For Engage subscribers, patients can view and edit the saved nickname and comments when they complete the Credit Card Authorization form.
- Click Finalize Payment. The confirmation window opens.
- Review and confirm the payment information is correct. Then, click Submit Payment. The Receipt window opens.
Note: A submitted payment shows as an Unapplied Payment until it is applied to the appropriate service(s) associated with the patient.
- To generate a detailed receipt (e.g., for FSA/HSA patients), click to select "Create itemized receipt". Otherwise, a non-itemized receipt displays once the payment is submitted.
- A non-itemized payment receipt displays. If "Create an itemized receipt" was selected when the payment was submitted, a detailed receipt displays (as shown in the image).
- To print the receipt for the patient, click Print at the bottom of the window.
- To enter the patient's email address to receive a modified email receipt that only contains general information (e.g., payment confirmation number, date payment was processed, amount paid), click Email at the bottom of the window.
Note: The full details of itemized and non-itemized receipts can only be printed and is not sent via email.