Collect Patient Payment
- Last updated
Save as PDF
The Collect Patient Payment feature provides an easy way to record or swipe a card to post patient payments for copays and outstanding account balances.
Note: To collect a patient payment via the terminal, review Stripe Terminal: Collect Patient Payment.
Collect Patient Payment
- Navigate to the patient's record or existing appointment.
- Click Collect Patient Payment to initiate the transaction. The Collect Patient Payment window opens.
- Verify patient information, review outstanding charges and unapplied payments.
- Patient name, DOB, phone and address.
- Click Total Account Balance to see an overview of charges and unapplied payments.
- To view a printable version of the Balance Details, click Print. Then print, if desired.
- Enter the payment information.
- Payment Amount: By default the Total Account Balance populates. If necessary, enter a different payment amount.
- Click Add Payment Note to enter details about the payment (e.g., reference number, check number, date of service).
Note: Payment Notes are only visible to the practice and do not print on the patient receipt.
- Payment Method: Click to select how the payment is being made.
- If Credit Card is selected as the method:
Note: Credit/debit card payments can only process through Stripe for Kareo Patient Collect subscribers with an active payments account.
- To record a credit card payment that has already been processed, click to select "Do not charge credit card. For recording purposes only.".
Note: If this option is selected, the payment does not process through Stripe.
- Select card on file or enter new card:
- If applicable, click to select a saved card on file to process the payment.
- To swipe a new card or manually enter the Name on Card, Card Number, Expiration Date, and three-digit CVV code, click + Manually Enter New Card.
- To securely save the new credit card information in the patient's record for future payments, click to select "Save this card on file".
Note: This option requires the cardholder's written permission. For convenience and optional use, click Download Patient Agreement for a template. Kareo Engage subscribers have the option to send a Credit Card Authorization form through the Patient Intake workflow which allows patients to add, edit, or remove credits card(s) on file, and electronically sign the form.
- Click Finalize Payment. The confirmation window opens.
- Review and confirm the payment information is correct. Then, click Submit Payment. The Receipt window opens.
Note: A submitted payment shows as an Unapplied Payment until it is applied to the appropriate service(s) associated with the patient.
- To generate a detailed receipt (e.g., for FSA/HSA patients), click to select "Create itemized receipt". Otherwise, a non-itemized receipt displays once the payment is submitted.
- A non-itemized payment receipt displays. If "Create an itemized receipt" was selected when the payment was submitted, a detailed receipt displays (as shown in the image).
- To print the receipt for the patient, click Print at the bottom of the window.
- To enter the patient's email address to receive a modified email receipt that only contains general information (e.g., payment confirmation number, date payment was processed, amount paid), click Email at the bottom of the window.
Note: The full details of itemized and non-itemized receipts can only be printed and is not sent via email.