Collection categories are used to track the status of patient accounts. Creating custom collection categories allows you to:
- Define various collection categories for use within the application
- Elect to send or withhold patient statements for patients that have been placed in a specific collection category
- Enter a dunning message that is printed on patient statements for those patients who will receive patient statements after they have been placed in a collection category
- Add a collection alert message that will appear at the top of various records in the application for patients who have been placed in a specific collection category
- Generate certain Accounts Receivable reports that are based on specific collection categories
To add a new collection category
- Click Settings>Other Lists>Find Collection Categories on the top menu.
- Note: To avoid duplication, a best practice is to first search the database to see if the collection category already exists in the system.
- If the collection category is not in the system, click New at the bottom.
- Enter the following information:
- Name: Enter a name for the new collection category.
- Description: Optional. Enter a brief description for the collection category.
- Send Statement?: Checking this box will prompt ongoing patient statements to be sent to any patients who fall within this collection category (until the collection category is removed from the patient record).
- Dunning Message: Adding a message here will prompt this message to be printed on all future patient statements for patients who fall within this collection category; message should not exceed 250 characters, including spaces. Note that when printing patient statements, this message will replace any message that might have been entered in the Global Message 1 text box within the Patient Statement Options task, but only for patients who have been placed in this collection category, and only when the Send Statement? checkbox is checked.
- Show Automatic Alert?: Checking this box will prompt an alert message to appear on various records for patients who have been placed in this collection category: At the top of a patient record, encounter record, claim record, appointment record, and under the "Collection Alert" column of the Send Patient Statements wizard.
- Alert Message: If using "Show Automatic Alert?", enter the alert message. Note that this message is a window message only and will not be printed on the patient statement.
- If you want to make this collection category the default category, click Set As Default on the bottom of the window. Caution: Be very careful about setting a new category as the default. Once a new category has been selected as the default, all new patients added to Kareo PM will automatically be placed in this category, so be sure this is what you really want.
- Click Save.