Set Up Paper-Based Insurance Companies
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Insurance companies that do not support electronic claims submission can be set up as paper-based payers. Claims for paper-based payers are printed and sent by mail from your practice directly to the insurance company.
Note: For Workers' Compensation or Auto insurance companies that do not support electronic claims, Kareo offers a unique option. For an additional fee, these payers can be set up as an ePaper Payer ("drop-to-paper") that enables your practice to submit claims electronically to Jopari where they will be printed and mailed to the payer.
Configure Insurance Company Settings
- Click Settings > Insurance > Insurance Companies. The Insurance Companies window opens.
Note: The Insurance Companies window is also known as the Enrollments Dashboard.
- Find and click the insurance company name. The General tab of the Edit Insurance Company window opens by default.
- Review the General information and make any appropriate changes if necessary.
- Click the Paper Claims tab. Then, review the Paper Claims settings and make any appropriate changes if necessary.
- Click the Practice Settings tab. Then, review the following settings and make any appropriate changes when applicable.
Note: These settings are specific to the currently opened practice and do not affect other practices (when there are multiple) within the Kareo account.
- Select Not Enrolled in the Enrollment Status drop-down menu to prevent electronic claims submission to this payer.
- Click to select or clear the selection for the following options as needed:
- "Disable electronic claims for this payer" disables electronic claims submission to this payer.
- "Use electronic billing when this payer is secondary" allows secondary electronic claims submission to this payer.
- "Send Coordination of Benefits (COB) information" includes the COB information on secondary claims.
- "Provider accepts assignment of benefits" populates Box 27 of the CMS-1500 claim form.
- "Exclude patient payments from claims sent to insurance" bills the total charge amount to the payer even if patient payments have been applied. This option populates Box 29 of the CMS-1500 claim with $0.00.
- "Allow zero balance transfers on claims" transfers all line items of the claim including those with zero balances.
- Click Save.